Men that struggle with drug addiction can benefit from gender-specific programs that place them with other men. The substance abuse problems and issues that men and women face are often different in regards to what led to the addiction and the path to recovery and sobriety.
Many of the benefits of drug rehab for men can be obtained simply by attending a professional treatment program. These benefits can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- You can recover in a distraction-free environment. It is easier to focus on what you need to do to achieve sobriety without outside distractions.
- Drug rehab for men caters to your specific needs and unique requirements. Men have different needs and requirements than women when it comes to rehab. Gender-specific programs can make it easier to achieve sobriety and avoid relapse.
- You can recover in a more comfortable environment. It can be hard for men to open up and let others in, especially in a co-ed environment. However, in a rehab program just for men, it makes it easier to let down your guard by breaking down internal walls, which helps you recover.
- You are among other men struggling with addiction. Many men are conditioned that admitting problems with addiction is a sign of weakness. Starting drug rehab where only men will be present helps you overcome feeling weak because you realize you are not alone, and it is okay to admit you need help.
- You can form life-long bonds and friendships with other men. One of the greatest benefits of drug rehab for men is that you are often placed with other men around your own age. This allows you to form strong bonds and friendships that last a lifetime.
- Your new friends provide added support to maintain long-term sobriety. By going through rehab with other men, you develop a unique support system with your new friends. So, you and your peers have others they can turn to when they need support to avoid relapse.
- You are not judged about your drug abuse problems. Everyone in your rehab group will have their own substance abuse struggles and problems. They are not going to judge you no matter what your experiences. Chances are, they have done many of the same things you have when you were using.
- The other men in your rehab program bring different experiences to the group. Some men may be exactly where you are right now. Others may be slightly ahead in their recovery, so they provide motivation for others to continue working on their program to reach the same level.
- You are more likely to open up and share your experiences. As you progress through your addiction treatment program, you gradually feel barriers and walls you have put up slipping away as you are more willing to trust other men. As a result, you will find you are more open to sharing your experience with substance abuse and the things you did that led to your addiction.
- It is easier to communicate with other men. In a co-ed setting, men are less likely to communicate with others. They will sit back and let the women do all the talking. In a rehab program just for men, the only people they have to communicate with are other men. So, as you get to know your peers more and become friends, you will find it easy to talk to them like you would any other male friend you have.
- Programs are tailored towards men and male-related concerns. Some of the greatest benefits of drug rehab for men is that it provides specific therapies and treatment options that address issues like male sexuality, gender, and masculinity. These topics are usually covered because they can be an essential part of recovery.
- You are less likely to feel embarrassed or ashamed for going to rehab. Men can feel quite embarrassed, guilty, and ashamed that they were not strong enough to take care of their addiction on their own. By joining a male-only addiction treatment program, while these feelings can be present, chances are the other men in your program are experiencing them too.
As you can see, men may be more comfortable in male-only rehab programs than co-ed programs. The more comfortable you feel while in rehab treatment, the more likely you are to stick with your program and achieve long-term sobriety.
Not to mention, there is potential to develop life-long friendships with other men that are also struggling with addiction. These new friendships can provide ongoing support after completing your rehab as you return to life outside rehab.
Furthermore, many men who reside in the same area will form their own after-care peer support groups to benefit from the bonds and friendships they made while in rehab.
Drug Rehab for Men in Dallas
At Casa Colina, we specialize in men’s substance abuse disorders and alcohol and drug rehab for men in Dallas. We offer custom-tailored programs that include various forms of counseling, therapy, exercise, and life skills to help the men in our programs to begin to heal and achieve long-term sobriety.
To learn more about our drug rehab for men, services, and treatment options, please feel free to contact us at 844-974-CASA (844-974-2272) today.